Teammates and coaches remember Wes Leonard

Two teammates and coaches told fond memories of Wes Leonard, 16, and remember his sudden death Thursday night after a basketball game.
"He was great. A perfect teammate I guess. A leader, strong for us when we needed him. Just did everything right," said teammate Adam Siegel, a senior at Fennville.
Leonard scored 21 points on Thursday, including the game winning points in overtime.
"He just made a great play right down the middle of the lane and we defended well enough down the other side and the buzzer sounded and everybody was darn excited," said basketball coach Ryan Klingler.
As the team and fans celebrated, Leonard suddenly collapsed.
"I was heading into the locker room just around the corner and I just heard someone screaming for me. Just the scream that I knew something was wrong," said Klingler.
An EMT who happened to be in the crowd then began performing CPR on the young All-American.
"He just collapsed on the court everybody saw it. His teammates were around him. Telling him they loved him and everything and then he just collapsed. I didn't know why he had collapsed or anything. when he collapsed they wanted the team in the locker room and Wes, he was my best friend and I didn't want anything to happen to him, so when I got back into the locker room I just cried. I couldn't hold it back," said teammate DeMarcus McGee, a senior at Fennville.
Leonard was pronounced dead at 10:40 p.m. at a local hospital. A forensic pathologist said his death was caused by an enlarged heart.
"He just got taken. Taken right out from under us. i don't want him gone. He was part of my family like these guys are and his family is part of my family and it's like loosing someone so close. I can't believe it could all happen like this," said Klingler.
Coaches and teachers called for unity as the school tries to move passed this tragic death.
"I'm sure the community is going to help us out, be there. And we're going to lean on our friends and family, just like any other circumstance, you've got to find help within each other," said Klingler.
Leonard is the second athlete to suddenly die after a game. Last January, Freshman Nathaniel Hernandez died of a seizure three hours after winning a wresting match.
His family said Hernandez had a history of seizures and was taking medication at the time.
A memorial for Leonard is scheduled for Sunday from 2p.m to 4p.m. and 6p.m to 8p.m. at Fennville United Methodist Church. The funeral will be held at 10:30a.m. at Christ Memorial Church in Holland.

0 comments:

Post a Comment